.

.

Wednesday 15 November 2017

How to take decent photos using your phone camera.

I get asked all the time what camera I use to take my photos and how I edit them. So I thought instead of replying to everyone individually in DM via the gram why not just do a blog post about it. So here it is! My personal hints, tricks and tips! I'm not an expect or have any professional as such experience. It's just what i've learnt myself. I hope this helps you in some way. If you ever need a little chat about it please feel free to DM via the gram. Enjoy!

I have a camera. It's a canon 7D. I currently use a 50mm lens but that's really only good for portrait work so I will be upgrading that soon. Now even though I do own a camera all of my Instagram photos of late have been from my phone. Mainly because although the quality of the canon camera is 1000x better it's heavy to take around on my own with 2 kids. So my phone is the easier option. So sure a exxy camera will produce higher quality photos but not everyone can afford that budget.
Currently I have a sony experia so that's what all my photos are taken on. Here are my tips for taking nice photos on your phone then I'll get to the editing.

Taking the photos-
1. It's all about that natural lighting guys! Natural light produces the best photos. I find early arvo to be the best for this personally. Because the sun isn't so bright (squinty and overexposed)  so it makes for really pretty lighting.

  

2. Self timer. Yep! Use a 1 second timer and it will cancel out some of the movement in focus. Aka- the wriggling babe. This doesn't always work if your baby/child is super wriggly but most of the time it works for me.
  

3. When taking photos I use the manual setting on my phone camera. Because I can focus on certain points to get the correct lighting on a focal point. Example- I want the focal point to be my baby and not the things in the background. So I will click the screen where my baby is in the frame and it will make my baby be brighter and more in focused lighting. That way the background is slightly more dark and the whole picture doesn't become overexposed.

4. Take lots of photos. Keep clicking for like 30-40 seconds. Usually you will get a couple of goodies in there.

5. Last but not least don't be afraid to play around with what angle you're taking your photos. You don't always have to centre an image.




Editing the photos-
1. I use an app called Vsco. This app is free to download and it comes on android and apple. It's the one I have found the easiest. There is another app called lightroom (I think you pay for that one but don't quote me on that.)

2. Vsco editing. Play around with the filters and see which one suits you. I have 1 filter I use on every photo and I just adjust the amount of filter on it to suit the individual photo. I also play around with the exposure, temperature, clarity, tint and highlight. This all takes practice but once you get the hang it's becomes quite easy.

3. Clarity/sharpness. This is what will take your photo from a 5 to 10, what I have found anyway. I find turning up the sharpness creates more of a HD effect. Because once you upload it the resolution will be effected.

4. I find i'm drawn to photos with warmth and brightness. I'm unsure why I just find those the best for me.



5. Facetune. Now don't hammer me on this one guys! I don't 'pinch' my body or anything like that. I really only use this app to make all my whites and greys the same shade so it all 'gels' together. I'm yet to find a different one to help me with that on my phone. (if you know of one let me know!)
. There is alot you can do with this app but that's the only time I use it. This app you have to pay for. I believe there is another app called snap seed that does this also. Best to have a play around though and find what works for you.

These are MY tips! I never claim to not edit my photos because I do. I do not edit my children or my body because that's one thing i'd never do. I only ever edit to colour Match.  Please remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment